No access to AS7 shows in AS8

Kritik, Meinungen, Hilfeersuchen und Erfahrungsaustausch zu DiaShow 11 und älter
Antworten
luxil
Einsteiger
Einsteiger

No access to AS7 shows in AS8

Beitrag von luxil »

I'm testing AquaSoft 8, using my existing AS7-diashows. I have no problem with the older shows, but AS8 cannot find the more recent ones. The difference with the older shows is, that the folders of the more recent ones have a lock on its logo. Since I am the only user I work with an administrator account. All efforts to unlock these folders are in vain. Does someone has an idea how to unlock the folders or how to read them in Aquasoft 8?
kdww
Giga-Poster
Giga-Poster

Re: No access to AS7 shows in AS8

Beitrag von kdww »

Can you open the locked shows with AS7?

What is locked? The ADS file?
The complete folder?
Or did you archive these shows with accsess to the pictures prohibited? But then AS7 will not be able to open these files, either.

Wolfgang
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 2304 MHz, 8 Kerne, 16 logische Prozessoren
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU 4GB RAM, zwei SSD 500GB und 2TB Platten.
Kerstin Thaler

Beitrag von Kerstin Thaler »

Dear luxil,

in addition to what kdww (Wolfgang) was asking, could you please post a screenshot
of the folder that contains the inaccessible shows?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kerstin Thaler
AquaSoft

Bild
luxil
Einsteiger
Einsteiger

Beitrag von luxil »

Thanks for your quick replies.
Attached you will find the same folder that shows in AS7 and AS8.

As far as I know I did nothing to prohibit programs to access these folder and files.
Dateianhänge
Screenshots with AS7 and AS8.jpg
kdww
Giga-Poster
Giga-Poster

Beitrag von kdww »

At first, the Windows Programm folder is not a good place to store any datas, because if you have Systemcrash, they are lost.
The best is have own drive, even a partion of the main disk is better.

For me looks it like a problem with access rigths of the folders.

If the AS 7 is working, open the shows, use the DCD CD Archiv assistent (sorry I have the German version) and make a new archiv, best outside the Windodws folders, then try to open the Slideshow with the DS 8.
DS8 Files couldn't be opened with DS7! So do not open your original DS7 file! Nake a copy and add for example DS8 to the filename of the copy!
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 2304 MHz, 8 Kerne, 16 logische Prozessoren
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU 4GB RAM, zwei SSD 500GB und 2TB Platten.
Kerstin Thaler

I don't really have an explanation yet, but regardless of the SlideShow version
it is never a good idea to store data (your slide shows) in the Program files folders.
These folders are for program installations only.

Anyway, what I can see is that - even though the address field shows
the same path in both version - the contents of the opened folders aren't
identical even if you ignore the folders with the lock. Please have a look
at the dates of e.g. "Australie - Slide Show" or "India - Slide Show".
They are different in both versions.
Unfortunately, the SlideShow 7 screenshot shows drive C:\ collapsed, the
one of SlideShow 8 doesn't show which folder is actually selected.
So a real comparison isn't possible from here.

Are you using SlideShow 7 and 8 with different rights or from different accounts?
Do you see the same if you open exactly the same folder(s) in the Windows Explorer?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kerstin Thaler
AquaSoft

Bild
luxil
Einsteiger
Einsteiger

Beitrag von luxil »

Both thanks for your advice.

I've created a folder in my data-drive. Then I've loaded the (in AS8) inaccessible files in AS7 and stored them in the new folder. Now I can load and edit them in AS8, what in fact solves my problem.
However I did not understand what happened.
You are right Kerstin: many of the folders have different data depending if I try to load them in AS7 or AS8. Nevertheless, it is the same folder that is accessed. When I open the folder in Windows Explorer I get the same dates and times as I get when I open them in AS8. It is as if AS7 has more rights and can "see" also the folders younger than 11/03/2013. I supposed something with the rights to access the files has happened around that date. So I searched for changes made around that date. As a matter of fact on 11/03/2013 I've updated AS7 to version 7.7.11 as you can see in the attachment. From that time on, AS7 seems to keep the rights for the diashows, stored under a Program Files-folder exclusively for its own, and is is not accessible for other applications, even not AS8. The solution is indeed, as you suggested to store diashows in data-folders, what I did and it works!

Anyhow, now my problem is solved, I wish to thank you for your quick and helpful replies. I've already experienced before that in that matter, AquaSoft can be set as an example for other software suppliers! Please keep up the good work!
Dateianhänge
Configuration.jpg
Kerstin Thaler

Thank you :)
I'm really happy that our replies helped to solve your problem.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kerstin Thaler
AquaSoft

Bild
jschreck
Mega-Poster
Mega-Poster

Beitrag von jschreck »

The reason for this specific problem ist, that C:\Program files ... is reserved for program Installation purposes with special access rights. Storing user specific data there an trying to modify them will result in access problems unless you run the modifying program (in this example: aquasoft diashow 8) with right mouseclick as "run as Administrator". Then you will get an UAC Dialog and may indeed modify any data stored in this folder - but nobody should do so.

The question ist, why ADS7 could modify these data. A possible reason may be that - for what reason ever - ADS7 runs with administrator privileges. Anyway, to really find out the reason for that behaviour needs to have a closer look at the computer...

So the advice to store any user data in a user specific folder is not only a solution for this problem but a MUST for all users working with computers...
Regards,
Jürgen
Antworten